Building a Network
Truth is, building a network will require first and foremost, patience!
First things first-not every network building process will be equal, so patience is a must! People may not always respond timely, they may not be receptive right away or they may not have the time to commit! Be OK with that! If it’s meant it will BE!
Here are a few ways that have helped me!
- Plan the desired outcome!
- Deciding early on, what you’re looking to GIVE and gain will help eliminate what you don’t want!
- Without a plan, people perish at networking and you’ll get NOTHING in return! Plan, plan, plan, and do it often!
- What’s your purpose?
- Are you wanting to build friendships, get leads or simply just want to connect with others?
- Where will you network?
- Everywhere, grocery store, campus, workplace, elevator, kids school, Venture Café 😊 (FREE)
- Chamber events-St. Louis Regional Chamber, Business After Hours (FREE) (To name a few)
- What’s next?
- 24-48 hours make an email, LinkedIn connection or make a phone call!
- Mention your conversation, ask for a sit down, be specific
- After you meet, stay in touch, offer value, offer connections, be a CONNECTOR, be your genuine self!
- Keep the relationship active, it requires work, just like any other!